Alaska Motorcycle Manual 2018
We’ve got you covered. To be sure that you’re ready to ride through Alaska safely and knowledgeably, you’re going to want to become familiar with the information in the Alaska Motorcycle Manual below. It’s a great first step as you prepare for the state required motorcycle written test.
Preparing With the AK Motorcycle Manual
The AK motorcycle manual is the ideal resource to prepare you for your motorcycle test when used along with our Alaska motorcycle permit practice test. Our study material has state specific question and answers covering some of the same material found on the official test. Start preparing now and soon you’ll have your license to explore the open road!
Topics Covered in the Manual
The Alaska Motorcycle Operator’s Manual is published by the Alaska Department of Administration Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and covers the following topics.
• Getting ready to ride – proper gear, motorcycle check and familiarity
• Safety control – posture and positioning, handling turns, braking, gear shifting
• Ensuring that you’re seen – proper clothing, headlights and signalling and your horn
• Preparing for trouble – road and traffic conditions, safe escape
• Proper visuals – mirrors and head checks, positioning for view
• Proper distances – to the front, back, right, and side, from parked cars, pedestrians, intersections, passing and merging
• Hazardous surfaces – slippery, icy, uneven, wet surfaces and obstacles in the road
• Night riding – safe practices such as speed, distance, high beams and headlights
• Road emergencies – fast stopping or turning and mechanical issues, exiting the road, wildlife and animals
• Cargo and Passengers on your bike
• Riding in groups – size, safe distances, passing and group formation
• Proper condition to ride – alcohol and drug safety, tiredness on the road
• Knowing your motorcycle – proper gear, care and maintenance
• Getting your license – tests required