hawaii-road-signIf you are looking to pass the Hawaii permit test it’s important that you become familiar with the state’s Graduated License Program (GDL). The GDL helps to ensure you are comfortable with the rules of the road before you go on to become an unrestricted driver.

In the state of Hawaii, the GDL process consists of obtaining:

  • A Learner’s Permit.
  • A Provisional License.
  • A Full License.

In this article, we will show you how to pass the Hawaii permit test and go on to become a fully licensed driver.

Learner’s Permit

When you are 15 and a half years old, you may apply for your Learner’s Permit in the state of Hawaii, which will allow you to practice driving with a licensed driver age 21 or older in the seat next to you.

To receive your permit, you must pass a written general knowledge test (also known as the permit test) that will show how well you know the rules of the road as well as different traffic signs and signals.

Study as Hard as Possible

Study as often as you can. We offer a free copy of the Hawaii Driver’s Manual, and you can request a physical copy at your local Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office.

Take Practice Exams

If you want to do well, it helps to take some practice exams ahead of time. Our Hawaii practice permit test includes much of the same subject matter from the actual test and is a great resource for learning.

Check That You Have the Required Materials and Visit Your Local DMV Office

Before you leave to do your testing, make sure you bring:

  • A certified U.S. birth certificate.
  • Your Social Security card or proof of legal presence.
  • Both of the parents listed on your birth certificate. They will need to sign your forms in an examiner’s presence, and if they can’t, you will need to bring in a notarized form with their signatures.
  • $7 for testing fees.

Do Your Testing

Try to relax as you take your permit test. You have studied hard, and you will do better if you stay positive and don’t psych yourself out. After you pass, you will need to do a vision screening to make sure you can see well enough to drive.

Start Practicing

While holding your permit, you must do 50 hours of practice driving and complete a state-certified driver’s education course. Your practice hours must include a 30-hour classroom course and either six hours of training with a state-certified instructor or a state-certified simulator course and two hours of training with an instructor.

Provisional License

When you are 16 years old, have held your permit for at least six months, have completed your education requirements and are capable of passing a road test, you will be awarded your Provisional License.

Visit your local DMV office and bring along:

  • A registered vehicle to use for the test.
  • $13 in testing and license fees.
  • Certificates that show you passed your driver’s education course and completed your behind-the-wheel requirements.
  • Your parents or legal guardians.
  • Your Learner’s Permit.

At this point, you will be given a road test and another vision test. When you pass, you will be given your Provisional License, which comes with a few restrictions:

  • You may only carry one passenger under the age of 18 who isn’t a family member.
  • You may not drive between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. except for work or school, unless you are accompanied by a licensed parent or guardian.
  • You and all your passengers must wear safety belts at all time.

Driver’s License

When you are 17 years old, and you have held your provisional license for six months without any violations or accidents, your license converts to a full, unrestricted license. Congratulations!

Additional Information

Hawaii has a zero-tolerance policy on teenage drinking. If you are caught with a blood-alcohol level (BAC) of 0.02 percent or higher, you will lose your license for 180 days and be required to enroll in an alcohol education program.

If you move to Hawaii while holding a provisional license from another state, you must convert to a Hawaii Provisional License by the time you are 19 years old. Otherwise, you will need to begin the process over as a new applicant.