Download the official MA RMV driver’s manual PDF or view online
The Massachusetts Driver’s Handbook is packed with essential information to help get you started as you prepare for the required state written exam. Every resident of the state of Massachusetts is required to pass a written test to become a licensed driver. With over half of all applicants failing the exam, it’s essential that you prepare yourself.
Preparing With the MA Drivers Handbook
There’s an easy way to find out if you’ll pass the Massachusetts written exam and start driving soon. While the handbook is an essential resource as you prepare for the exam it’s important that you test your knowledge as well. Start with our comprehensive Massachusetts practice permit test. Our practice tests closely simulate the official state written test. Together with the handbook you will have all the tools you need to master the written exam.
Topics Covered in the Handbook
The Massachusetts Driver’s Manual is published by the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles and covers the following topics:
- Driver’s Licenses – classifications, identification, renewals
- Safety – seat belts, air bags, defensive driving
- Rules of the Road – speed limits, traffic signals, traffic signs, pavement markings
- Special Driving Situations – health, emergency vehicles, accidents
- Owning a Vehicle – registration, inspections, titles, insurance