nebraska-road-signTo earn your permit and your full driver’s license in the state of Nebraska, you will first have to complete a multi-step process known as the Graduated Driver’s License Program (GDL). These steps exist to help you slowly gain an understanding of the rules of the road while remaining in a low-risk environment. GDL programs have been shown to reduce traffic fatalities due to inexperience.

The stages of the GDL process in Nebraska include:

  • Learner’s Permit (LPD)
  • Provisional Operator’s Permit (POP)
  • Full License

This guide has been developed to help you understand each stage of the GDL process and teach you how to pass the Nebraska permit test so you can go on to earn unrestricted driving privileges.  Let’s get started!

Learner’s Permit

At age 15, you can apply for a basic Learner’s permit, also known as an LPD. To do so, you will need to pass a written test (permit test) to show that you have been educated on the rules of the road as well as traffic signs.

Prepare by Studying Hard

Showing up unprepared for a test is never a good idea. Therefore, you should take the permit test seriously and study as hard as you can. We offer a free online copy of the Nebraska Driver’s Handbook for you to use, and if you would prefer a physical copy, you can request one by visiting the your local Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) offices.

Take Practice Exams

Our Nebraska practice permit test covers a lot of the same subject matter as the actual test, and taking it can help prepare you better than any other method of study. When you have successfully completed our practice version and feel confident about the information you have learned, you can try the real thing.

Visit The DMV Offices and Take Your Tests

Be sure to bring along:

  • Proof of identity, Social Security number and Nebraska residency.
  • $8 in fees.

You have studied hard, and now is your moment to shine. Try to stay calm and simply do your best. If you prepared carefully, passing should be a breeze.

When you successfully complete the exam, you will be given a vision test to ensure you can see well enough to drive. Be sure to bring along your glasses or contact lenses if needed to correct your vision.

Start Practicing

At this point, you must either take a state-approved driver’s education course or complete at least 50 hours of practice driving under the supervision of a parent or guardian.

Provisional Operator’s Permit

When you have completed your requirements and held your permit for at least six months, you can visit the DMV and apply for your POP. Be sure to bring along:

  • $15 in fees.
  • Your Learner’s Permit.
  • A registered and insured vehicle to use for the test.
  • Identification and residency documents.
  • Signed proof that you completed your driving practice (either 50 supervised practice hours or an approved driver’s education course).

As with the written test, passing the driving test should be easy as long as you practiced ahead of time. The test will check how well you can control the vehicle, follow traffic law and pay attention to signs and signals, so try to remain as relaxed and focused as you can.

When you pass, you will receive your POP. There will still be some limitations to follow:

  • Unless accompanied by a licensed adult age 21 or older, you can’t drive between the hours of midnight and 6 a.m. There is an exception if you’re driving between work, school and home.
  • Unless accompanied by a licensed adult age 21 or older, you can’t have more than one passenger under the age of 19 for the first six months of holding your POP.

Driver’s License

When you are 18 years old, your POP will expire and you will be eligible for a full license as long as you have maintained a flawless driving record in the past year.

Congratulations! You are now an unrestricted driver.

Additional Information

If you live in a rural area, you have an opportunity to begin driving at a younger age. When you are 14 years old, you can apply for a LPE permit, which allows you to drive to school as long as you have a licensed driver age 21 or above with you.

After two months, you can trade your LPE for an SCP, which allows you to drive to school-related events on your own. However, you first must complete 50 hours of supervised practice driving or an approved driver’s education course to do so. The fee for both of these permit applications is $8.