new-hampshire-road-signAre you ready for the New Hampshire permit test?  The state of New Hampshire now uses a Graduated Driver’s License Program (GDL) to help prepare young drivers for the road. Multi-stage GDL programs have been proven to reduce the number of accidents caused by inexperienced drivers by helping them gain necessary driving skills while still remaining under supervision.

In New Hampshire, there are three steps to the GDL program:

  • Practice Driving
  • Youth Operator License
  • Full License

In this article, you will learn about the GDL process, and we will show you how to pass the New Hampshire permit test (also known as the Youth Operator License test) and go on to earn unrestricted driving privileges.

Driver’s Education

At age 15 and a half, you can begin to practice driving while accompanied by a licensed driver age 25 or above. unlike most states, New Hampshire doesn’t have a Learner’s Permit.

Instead, you will be required to complete driver’s education, which includes 30 hours of classroom education, 10 hours of practice under the supervision of your instructor and six hours of driving observation. You also must complete 40 hours of practice driving under the supervision of a licensed adult age 25 or older, with 10 of those hours taking place at night.

When you complete these requirements, you can move on to the next phase in the process.

Youth Operator License

At 16 years old, you can apply for your Youth Operator License. There is technically no Learner’s Permit in the state of New Hampshire, but to receive your Youth Operator License, you will need to pass a written knowledge test that is very similar to the permit test in other states. You will also need to pass a vision test and a behind-the-wheel test.

Studying Hard Ensures Success

Passing the test on the first try requires dedicated study. There is a lot of information to absorb, and it can be easy to get overwhelmed. We offer a free copy of the New Hampshire Driver’s Handbook for you to read, and if you would like a hard copy, you can find one at your local New Hampshire Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) offices.

Don’t Miss Out on Practice Tests

Our New Hampshire practice permit test contains a lot of the same subject matter as the knowledge test you will need to pass to get your Youth Operator License. Taking it before the actual test is a great way to make sure you’re fully prepared.

Visit Your Local New Hampshire DMV Office and Do Your Testing

When you’re ready for your test, visit your local DMV office before 3:30 p.m. The DMV does not offer testing after that time. Be sure to bring along:

  • Proof of identity (birth certificate, U.S. passport).
  • Your Social Security number.
  • Proof of residency (school enrollment card, parent’s utility bill).
  • Your parent or guardian.
  • A signed and completed application.
  • The green certificate you were given when you completed driver’s education.
  • A signed Parent or Guardian Authorization Certificate.
  • A signed Driver’s Out-Of-Class Log Sheet, which proves of your practice hours.
  • $50 in fees.

First, you will be given your written knowledge test. Try to relax and remember all the information you so carefully studied. As long as you are prepared, passing shouldn’t be a problem for you.

The same goes for the driving test. You’ve been practicing plenty, and at this point, the things that are asked of you during the test should seem very simple.

After passing the two tests and completing your vision exam, you will be given your Youth Operator License. It comes with a few restrictions you should be aware of:

  • You may not drive between 1 a.m. and 4 a.m.
  • You and all of your passengers must be wearing safety belts.
  • Unless accompanied by a licensed adult age 25 or above, you may not drive with more than one passenger under the age of 25 who isn’t an immediate family member. However, after the first six months, this restriction is lifted.

Driver’s License

When you reach the age of 18, and you haven’t received any traffic violations or had any accidents, all of the restrictions will be removed from your license. You don’t need to do anything else at this time.

Additional Information

If you are moving to New Hampshire and have a learner’s permit from another state, you will need to start the process from scratch by doing driver’s education and completing your 40 practice hours before applying for your Youth Operator License. If you completed driver’s education in another state, it will count toward your requirements as long as the course you took meets the standards of New Hampshire.