Download the official OR DMV driver’s manual PDF or view online
Need to get your Oregon learners permit or driver’s license? Anyone looking to become a licensed driver in the state of Oregon must first pass the Oregon written knowledge test. Fortunately, the Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) publishes the Oregon Drivers Handbook to help you begin preparing for the exam.
Preparing With the OR Drivers Handbook
Preparing for the written exam begins with becoming familiar with the material in the handbook, however, it’s important to remember you should test that knowledge. After studying the material in the handbook test your level of knowledge through the use of practice tests. Our Oregon practice permit tests are designed to simulate the test format as well as introduce you to some of the same material you will encounter on the officially written driving exam. Take advantage of both the handbook and practice tests and will be one step closer to becoming a fully licensed driver. Good luck and enjoy your new found freedom!
Topics Covered in the Handbook
The Oregon driver manual is published by the Oregon Department of Transportation Driver and Motor Vehicle Services (DMV) and covers the following topics.
- Drivers Licenses – fee schedule, how to apply, examinations
- Signs, Signals and Markers – prohibitive signs, regulatory signs, warning signs
- Rules of the Road – speed, lanes, yielding, passing, stopping
- Defensive Driving – intersections, driver’s view, communication, freeway driving
- Sharing the Road – pedestrians, bicycles, motorcycles, RVs, trucks and buses
- Driver Safety – alcohol, crashes, traffic violations