Tennessee DMV Handbook 2023
All residents of Tennessee interested in becoming licensed drivers must first pass the states written knowledge test. To prepare for the test, you will need to become familiar with the rules of the road and road signs found in the Tennessee drivers handbook .
Preparing With the TN Drivers Handbook
The last thing you want to do is leave your local testing office empty-handed. To ensure that you are fully prepared it’s essential that you get some practice. Our Tennessee practice permit test provides a sneak peek at some of the topics covered on the real test. The practice tests are designed to simulate the testing experience by using the same multiple-choice format. While not exactly the same, the driver’s handbook used in tandem with our practice tests offer a great way to increase your chances for success on test day.
Topics Covered in the Handbook
The Tennessee Driver License Handbook is published by the Tennessee Department of Safety and covers the following topics.
- Applying for License – documentation, graduated license, regular license
- Examinations – vision screening, knowledge test, road test
- Know Your Vehicle – vehicle condition, seat and mirror, safety belts, texting
- Traffic Signs and Signals – shapes and colors, regulatory signs, warning signs, work area
- Rules of the Road – speed limits, two second rule, required stops, littering
- Interstate Driving – entering and exiting, traffic congestion, move over law
- Alcohol and Driving – drinking and driving, other drugs, implied consent
- Driving Responsibility – DUI, sharing the road, defensive driving, road rage